Whether you live in the Santa Rosa, Napa or Roseland area and want a healthy lawn that looks like it belongs in a magazine or you have been searching for a professional lawn care company to give your home landscaping a boost, there are many common mistakes that homeowners make that can have a negative impact on the health of their grass. Fortunately, there are some steps you can take to ensure your lawn is in tip-top shape and helps improve the quality of the air and water in your community.
1. Do Not Mow Too Short – Overmowing is a mistake that many homeowners make, believing it will save them time and energy. However, cutting off more than one-third of a blade of grass can actually be damaging to the root system and lead to future issues in the lawn such as dry spots, weeds, or poor color.
2. Do Not Sharpen Your Lawn Mower – Dull blades that are not properly maintained can lead to frayed, weak, or diseased grass. Having your mower sharpened twice a year will help keep your grass looking healthy and lush.
3. Do Not Weed Your Lawn – Keeping a lawn weed-free is essential to a beautiful lawn. Weeds are very resilient in nature and can easily overtake your lawn if left unchecked. Getting rid of these pesky seeds as soon as they appear is important to keep your lawn healthy and free from disease.
4. Do Not Fertilize – Fertilizing your lawn too often, or using the wrong type of fertilizer can harm the grass. This is especially true if the fertilizer is not organic or is not well-suited to your soil. It can also cause chemical burns, leaving your lawn more brown than green.
5. Do Not De-Thatch – The thatch layer of your lawn is not always a bad thing, but too much can be harmful. Thatch is dead plant material that clings to the roots and grass blades.
Thatch is fine in the right amount, but if it gets too thick, it can starve your lawn of the nutrients and sunlight it needs to be healthy. Thatch can be removed with a thatch rake, for example, or by hiring a professional to do the work.
6. Do Not Water Too Often – A lawn that is overwatered can become shriveled up and wilted. Overwatering can also contribute to a host of other problems in the lawn including fungal diseases, root damage, and nutrient deficiencies. You might also include checking your gutters since clogged gutters can cause flood and erosion to your lawn if it's not properly draining. You can hire a professional gutter cleaning service like Gutter Cleaning Santa Rosa to help you inspect the gutters and make sure that everything will work fine.
7. Do Not Weed Your Lawn - A weedy lawn is not only unsightly but can be extremely damaging to the turf as well. It can kill the grass and even encourage weeds to take over, leading to more work on your part.
Taking these seven easy steps to avoid these common lawn care mistakes can help ensure your grass is in its best shape and ready to be enjoyed! Bring your lawn back to life.
Leave a Comment